I’m thrilled to announce a new Talk Python course:
What’s this course about?
This course will show you how easy it is to consume a wide variety of web services using Python. You will be comfortable working with a variety of web and HTTP services. In addition to core package APIs, you will learn the ins-and-outs of HTTP RESTful services and their data types.
What’s this course about and how is it different?
The goal of this online video course is to show you how to integrate with a variety of HTTP-based web services.
As you know, it’s a services world out there. There are literally 1,000’s of amazing APIs you can integrate into your applications. Whether it’s Slack or Twilio to add communication, GitHub, Trello, or BitBucket for development and deployment, or even Stripe for payments, you can dramatically boost your application’s features and power by adding services.
In addition to learning the APIs to integrate HTTP, REST, XML, SOAP services and web scraping into your application, you will learn the theory and concepts behind.
You’ll even learn to work with a number of data formats including JSON, XML, HTML, SOAP.
Who is this course for?
It’s for people who have some programming / scripting experience and want to improve their Python knowledge. Maybe you
- Want to add services to your local apps or your web apps
- Are a developer adding integration with existing services
- Are a data scientists looking to harvest data from the internet
- Are a developer who needs to integrate with legacy SOAP services
- Would like to understand the concepts behind HTTP / REST services
If any of those descriptions fit you, then you’re my target student. I wrote this course for you.
What services will we use?
We will create a number of demo applications in Python throughout this course. These applications will integrate with a variety of services and work with a number of data formats including:
- GitHub (list public repos for a user)
- Blog explorer (three versions: requests, py2, py3)
- RSS Feed Reader
- MP3 / podcast downloader (binary file examples)
- Course Playground Service
HTTP / REST version: /api/blog
HTTP / REST version (auth): /api/restricted/blog
SOAP version: /soap?wsdl
- Scraping and analyzing 80 hours of transcripts on talkpython.fm
What data formats will we learn to process?
In addition to working with requests, urllib*, beautifulsoup4, you will learn how to work with a number of data and file formats in Python including.
- via the HTTP APIs
- via the file system
- custom formats via the file system
- via RSS
- via sitemaps
- SOAP services descriptions and messages
- via basic GET requests
- parsing deeply to convert web pages to “APIs”
Free office hours keep you from getting stuck
One of the challenges of self-paced online learning is if you get stuck it can be hard to get help to get you unstuck.
That’s why at Talk Python Training, we offer live, online office hours. You drop in and join a group of fellow students to chat about your course progress and see solutions via screen sharing.
Just visit your account page to see the upcoming office hour schedule.
The time to act is now
Begin taking advantage of the thousands of amazing services you can use in your app today.